Tuesday, January 6, 2009

listen=daniel johnston


yuk. My nose is sore and the my garbage is filled to the rim with kleenexes. Bright side: turntable is fixed (or so i thought) so I put it back in my room. this morning's spins included a side of songs in the key of life and yip/jump music by Daniel Johnston.

"True love will find you in the end
You'll find out just who was your friend
Don't be sad, I know you will,
But dont give up until
True love will find you in the end.
This is a promise with a catch
Only if you're looking can it find you
‘Cause true love is searching too
But how can it recognize you
Unless you step out into the light?"

I love Daniel. I have gotten to the point with his music that his songs carry additional meaning: a special feel and memories. Memories often pervade my listening experience because I let them--it is much more fulfilling to listen than to hear. Daniel Johnston's songs are pure in the sense of being unadulterated by production and its 'listenability'. There is much less to get caught up in--it is almost impossible to hear and not listen.

A few years ago, I purchased 'the late great daniel johnston'. One disc is entitled 'discovered covered' and includes covers of johnston's songs by the likes of bright eyes, beck, and tv on the radio. It is really a great homage to johnston's works and any fan should check it out.

Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You In The End

No comments:

Post a Comment